|Alt names||Knutsford Over||source: village making up town|
|Knutsford Nether||source: village making up town|
|Cunetesford||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 49|
|Knutsford Inferior||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Knutsford Superior||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Nether Knutsford||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Over Knutsford||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town, Urban district|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Knutsford Over, Cheshire, England||parish from which Knutsford Urban District was created in 1895|
|Knutsford Nether, Cheshire, England||parish from which Knutsford Urban District was created in 1895|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Knutsford is a town in Cheshire, England, located 14 miles (23 km) southwest of Manchester and 9 miles (14 km) northwest of Macclesfield.
Knutsford has been under the unitary council of Cheshire East since April 2009. Prior to that Knutsford was in the Borough of Macclesfield (1974-2009) and before that Knutsford Urban District Council (1895-1974). The parish of Knutsford was formally created in 1895 from the parishes of Knutsford Over and Knutsford Nether. In 1936 it also absorbed most of the parish of Bexton, part of Tabley Superior and Toft.
It is situated on the Cheshire Plain, between the Peak District in the South Pennines to the east and the Clwydian Range in the Welsh mountains to the west. Knutsford is an affluent residential area in Cheshire's "Golden Triangle" and a dormitory town for people working in Manchester.
Knutsford's main town centre streets, Princess Street (also known locally as Top Street) and King Street lower down (also known as Bottom Street), form the "hub" of the town. At one end of the narrow King Street is an entrance to Tatton Park. The Tatton estate was home to the Egerton family, and has given its name to Tatton parliamentary constituency, which also includes the neighbouring communities of Alderley Edge and Wilmslow.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Knutsford from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Knutsford, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cheshire, in N. of [county], near river Birken, 7 miles NW. of Northwich, 15 miles SW. of Manchester, and 172 NW. of London by rail--parish: 4931 acres, population 4859; town (comprising Nether Knutsford township and part of the township of Over Knutsford): population 4290; P.O., T.O. [telegraph office], 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Knutsford (supposed to have been originally Canutes Ford) is a town of great antiquity; it occupies a pleasant and healthy situation on high ground, and contains many fine residences of Manchester merchants. The town possesses a grammar school, established prior to the Reformation. The mfrs. of cotton, worsted, and leather goods are the chief industries. Knutsford par. contains the townships of Nether Knutsford, 793 acres, population 3895, and Over Knutsford, 967 acres, population 410."
As Knutsford Over and Knutsford Nether, Knutsford was originally in Bucklow Hundred. The two parishes have been redirected here.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.