Alwinton (previously named Allenton and sometimes still referred to as this) is a village and former parish in Northumberland, England. Alwinton is named after the nearby River Alwin, and means "farm on the River Alwin".
Alwinton lies at the head of the Coquet valley, on the edge of both the Otterburn Army Training Estate and the Northumberland National Park. The village is roughly 10 miles (16 km) from the border with Scotland, and about 18 miles (29 km) to the west of Alnwick.
The neighbouring village of Harbottle with Harbottle Castle are about 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi) from Alwinton. A road continues past Alwinton into the Cheviot Hills where it terminates at the ancient Roman military encampment of Chew Green.
Alwinton's population in the 2001 UK census was only 71. In the early 21st century several of rural Northumberland's least populated parishes were merged into slightly larger units, and Alwinton was one example, being merged with the neighbouring Biddlestone (where the UK census of 2011 the population is included).
Wikipedia includes an interesting section entitled "Alwinton-Historical population and surnames".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alwinton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Alwinton was an ancient parish in the Coquetdale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Alwinton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Townships in parish