Place:Kidland, Northumberland, England

TypeExtra parochial area, Civil parish
Coordinates55.406°N 2.136°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoCoquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Alwinton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kidland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"KIDLAND, an extra-parochial lordship in Rothbury [registration] district, Northumberland; on a branch of the river Coquet, among the Cheviots, 11 miles NW by W of Rothbury. Population: 71. Houses: 9. Remains of ancient British earthworks, and vestiges of Memmer-Kirk are here."

Kidland was a large extraparochial area linked to no particular ancient parish or chapelry. It became a separate civil parish in 1858. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and its area of 17,000 acres was absorbed into the parish of Alwinton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.