The Jackson River was used as an early landmark by surveyors in Augusta County. It now runs through Allegheny County. It includes the areas of the Falling Spring Valley. NOTE: The map above is an inaccurate depiction of the course of the Jackson River. The Jackson River rises in Highland County, Virginia, flows southwest through Bath County, Virginia into Alleghany County, Virginia where it makes a sharp turn to the east at Covington, Virginia, flows past Clifton Forge, Virginia, through Rainbow Gap, and eventually joins the more easterly Cowpasture River south of Iron Gate, Virgina, at Forks Farm on the boundary between Alleghany and Botetourt counties, to form the James River. See below.
From Chalkley's, unless other source stated (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):
- Page 335.--18th May, 1761. Thomas Lewis to James and Robert Allen, £80, 560 acres on West Fork of Jackson's River. (Note: this appears to be Robert Allen and his son James).
- Page 315.--19th Mav, 1754. Adam Dickinson to James Boreland (Bourland), £75, 327 acres, part of a large tract patented to Adam 1st June, 1750, on Jackson's River, west side of River; corner John Bordon (Bardon), the patent line.
- Page 321.-- 18th May, 1754. Adam Dickinson to John Bird (Byrd), £25. 215 acres, part of above patent; corner Wm. Jackson. Delivered to John Dean June, 1765.
- Joseph Carpenter received a patent for 782 acres on Jackson's River on 1 June, 1750 as listed in the following record:
- NOVEMBER 28, 1770. Page 162. - William Hugart vs. Joseph Carpenter} Decree for plaintiff for sale of 160 acres on Jackson's River, part of 782 acres patented to Joseph (Carpenter) - June 1, 1750. Memo.--The land was sold by Edward McMullen, Jan'y., 1771, at public auction, and bought by plaintiff for £90.
- Page 873.--20th May, 1765. Same (From Joseph Carpenter, Sr.) to Solomon Carpenter, planter, £10, 160 acres, John Man's line. Delivered: Wm. Huggart, 4th November, 1772.
- Page 359.--20th September, 1763. John ( ) Davis and Judith to William Clark, £65, 65 acres on Jackson's River, formerly conveyed by Thomas Hughart to John, May, 1762. Delivered to William Clark, September, 1765.
- Page 200 - John Davis, 153 acres, branch of Jackson River. Adjoining William Cunningham. October 10, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 72].
- Page 318.--19th May, 1754. Adam Dickinson to William Dean, £75, 327 acres part of 820 acres patented to Adam as above on Jackson River; corner James Boreland on Indian Camp Creek. Teste: Archibald Boreland. Delivered to John Dean. 1765.
- Page 454.—17th August, 1753. John and David Standley (Handley) to John Dickinson, 546 acres on Falling Spring of Jackson River, lower end of the Sinking Spring. Teste: John Wardlaw.
- Page 451.--17th August, 1753. Adam Dickinson to James Dunlap, 875 acres on Meadow Creek of Jackson's River near the Indian Path. Patented to Adam 1st June, 1750. Teste: Charles Dunlap, John Robison.
- Page 421.--22d September, 1763. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth to William Galloway, 165, 115 acres on west side Jackson's River, beginning about 3/4 mile above mouth of Cowpasture. Delivered: William Galloway. September, 1765.
- Page 423.—16th August, 1753. Thomas Lewis to Samuel Gay, 489 acres. Jackson's River, cor. tract in possession of John Lewis.
- Page 271 - Mary Gregory, 188 acres, Jackson River. Mentioned James Cunningham. April 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 93].
- Page 203.--1,000 acres on Jackson's River, patented to William Jackson, 1st June, 1750. Patent to Robert Hall, 7th February, 1784. Teste: A. Stuart, Joseph Jewell, Michael ( ) Cawley, J. Lyle, Jr.
- Page 487.--17th August, 1762. Joseph Carpenter to John Mann, £70, 230 acres on Jackson's River.
- Jeremiah Seely took a survey of 100 acres at the mouth of Dry Run in 1754. [Source: A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia, Ruebush, 1923].
- Page 64 - Land Survey, Jeremiah Seely, 200 acres, Falling Spring Valley. December 1, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 25].
- 1770 Botetourt David Tate (Margaret) to John Sproul and wife Margaret, 85A, £20, on Jackson River, known by name as “English Place”. [Botetourt County records].
- Page 208.--17th March, 1767. John ( ) Davis and Judey ( ) to David Tate, £17, 85 acres on Jackson's River. Delivered: David Tate. June, 1770.
- Page 119.--19th November, 1766. Robert Gay and Sarah ( ) to John Vance, £50, 133 acres, part of 664 acres conveyed to Robert by Robert Abercrombie, 23d October, 1760, on Back Creek, a branch of Jackson's River; corner Samuel Vance's part. Delivered: Samuel Vance, devisee, 7th November, 1797.
- Page 271 - John Vance, 54 acres, Jackson River. April 7, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 93].
- Page 121.--19th November, 1766. Same (From Robert Gay and Sarah) to Samuel Vance, £50 to the said Henry and Gay paid, 180 acres, part of 664 acres above, mouth of Naps Creek.
- Page 202 - Samuel Vance, 47 acres, Jackson River. October 9, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Help fund new features!