|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Stamfordham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Matfen, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of West Matfen from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MATFEN, a village, two townships, and a chapelry, in Stamfordham parish, Northumberland. The village stands 1 mile N of the Roman wall, 5½ NE by N of Corbridge [railway] station, and 7½ NE of Hexham; and has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne, and an inn. The townships are East [Matfen] and West [Matfen]. Acres: 2,067 and 1,905. Population: 147 and 345. Houses: 28 and 72. The manor belonged to the Feltons; passed to the Lawsons, the Fenwicks, and the Douglasses; went, by marriage, in the last century, to the Blacketts; and, with Matfen Hall, belongs now to Sir Edward Blackett, Bart. The Hall was built in 1832-5; is a very imposing edifice, in the Gothic style; has a grand entrance-hall, rising to the entire height of the edifice, and surrounded by open arcaded galleries; contains some valuable pictures, and so me curious relics; and stands in a very fine park. Fine ancient carved stone pillars are at the Wodge, and were brought from Halton Castle. An ancient standing stone, probably Druidical, is on a green before a house called the Standing Stone Farm. Kistvaens were found in a barrow near that house. Matfen Piers is a meet for the Tindale hounds.
- "The chapelry is larger than the two townships, and was constituted in 1846. Population: 751. Houses: 150. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £150. Patron: Sir E. Blackett, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1862; and is a handsome edifice, with a lofty tower."
The two townships of East Matfen and West Matfen were located in the ancient parish of Stamfordham and became separate civil parishes in 1866. In 1955 the two civil parishes were merged into the one parish of Matfen and also absorbed the civil parishes of Fenwick (near Newcastle upon Tyne), Ingoe, Kearsley and Ryal.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | West Matfen, Northumberland, England | Stamfordham, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Matfen, Northumberland, England