West Derby has been a northern suburb of Liverpool since 1928. At the 2001 Census, the population of its ward was 14,801.
West Derby was originally a township associated with the ancient parish of Walton-on-the-Hill in the West Derby Hundred which covered most of southwestern Lancashire. The township became an independent civil parish in 1866. It became part of Sefton Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894, but in 1928 was absorbed into the County Borough of Liverpool.
Liverpool West Derby has been a UK parlimentary constituency since 1885. The constituency is now one of five covering the city of Liverpool and covers the northeast of the city, including Croxteth, Gillmoss, Knotty Ash, Norris Green, Tuebrook, and Stoneycroft as well as West Derby itself.