Wavertree is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, and is a Liverpool City Council ward. Before 1974 it was in Lancashire. In 1895, the village of Wavertree was incorporated into the city of Liverpool.
Wavertree was a UK parliamentary constituency from 1918 until 1983; it was revived in 1997. Wavertree was part of the parish of Childwall in the West Derby hundred.
The name derives from the Old English words wæfre and treow, meaning "wavering tree", possibly in reference to aspen trees which are common locally. Holy Trinity Church was built in 1794 and is situated on Church Road close to the famous Blue Coat School.