Thames Ditton is a suburban village by and on the River Thames, on the edge of southwest Greater London, and in the Elmbridge District or Borough of Surrey, England. It has a large inhabited island in the river but is otherwise on the southern bank, its centre located 12.2 miles (19.6 km) south-west of Charing Cross in central London. Its clustered village centre and shopping area on a winding High Street is surrounded by housing, schools and sports areas. Its riverside is situated opposite Hampton Court Palace Gardens in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. The Office for National Statistics defines Thames Ditton as being in the Greater London Urban Area.
Its railway station is one of two on the Hampton Court Branch Line and is 500m from riverside end of the village centre and the village of Weston Green that hived off from it in 1939. Two other villages within the parish are Claygate and Giggs Hill. Thames Ditton was part of Esher and the Dittons Urban District from 1895 until 1933 when the name of the urban district was changed to Esher Urban District.
Thames Ditton joins Long Ditton and Weston Green in occupying the land between Surbiton, Esher and East Molesey. Although reduced to less than one square mile, it formerly covered more than four square miles.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Thames Ditton. There is a lot of information here.
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)