- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Esher is a town in Surrey, England, to the east of the River Mole.
At its south the London urban area ends. Esher has a linear commercial high street and is otherwise suburban in density, with varying elevations, few high rise buildings and very short sections of dual carriageway within the ward itself. Esher covers a large area, between 13 and 15.4 miles southwest of Charing Cross. In the south it is bounded by the A3 Portsmouth Road which is of urban motorway standard and buffered by the Esher Commons.
Esher is bisected by the A307, traditional Portsmouth Road which for approximately forms its high street. Esher railway station (served by the South West Main Line) connects the town to London Waterloo. Sandown Park Racecourse is in the town near the station.
In the south, Claremont Landscape Garden owned and managed by the National Trust belonged to the British home to Princess Charlotte and her husband Leopold I of Belgium. Accordingly the town was selected to have a fountain by Queen Victoria and has an adjacent Diamond Jubilee column embossed with a relief of the monarch topped by a statue of Britannia. Unite, the union, train representatives at its Esher Place centre and the town has the offices of Elmbridge Borough Council in its high street.
Esher was part of Esher and the Dittons Urban District from 1895 until 1933 when the name of the urban district was changed to Esher Urban District and the area of the urban district expanded to include four other local villages:
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Esher from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ESHER, a village, a parish, and a [registration sub-district], in Kingston [registration] district, Surrey. The village stands on high ground, adjacent to the river Mole, about a mile S of the Southwestern railway, and 4¼ SW of Kingston; and has a head post office, a station with telegraph on the railway, a good inn, and a fair on 4 Sept. It was known at Domesday as Aissele; it figured prominently, for some time, in connexion with a neighbouring episcopal palace; and it now presents a pleasant appearance, and has charming environs. The parish comprises 2,079 acres. Real property: £9,027. Population: 1,460. Houses: 254. The property is much subdivided. Esher Palace stood on the bank of the Mole; was erected, in the latter part of the 15th century, by Bishop Waynflete of Winchester; underwent repair and reconstruction by Wolsey, on his appointment to the see of Winchester; became his retreat, on his disgrace at court; passed, under Bishop Gardner, to the Crown; was given, by Elizabeth, to Lord Howard of Effingham; went, through various possessors, to the minister Henry Pelham; and passed first to Lord Londes, and then to the Spicers. The estate, in 1865, had lately been sold; and the park was then about to be disposed for villa residences. No part of the palace now exists except a square tower with octagonal turrets at the corners, and a central gateway. The present mansion stands on higher ground; bears the name of Esher Place; is entirely modern; and commands a rich view over the valley of the Thames. A neighbouring well is popularly called Wolsey's, but does not seem to have any true claim to the name. The surrounding grounds are beautiful; and they retain some features of an elaborate care with which they were formerly laid out."
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.