Teddington is a largely suburban town centred on a linear settlement in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in south west London, on the north bank of the River Thames, between Hampton Wick and Twickenham; its centre is mid rise urban development. It is south west of Charing Cross. It stretches inland from the River Thames to Bushy Park. As with most of London north of the Thames it was in the abolished county of Middlesex and it is a post town with a long high street reaching down to pubs and leisure clubs by the riverside. It has no dual carriageways and no high rise residential buildings.
Teddington is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. It became an Urban District in 1894. In 1934 it was absorbed into Twickenham Urban District, which itself became part of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in 1965.