- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
South Mimms is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1894 it was split, with a small part becoming South Mimms Urban parish, which became part of Barnet Urban District. The remainder of the parish administered as the South Mimms Rural District, which only had one constituent parish, being South Mimms. In 1934 the South Mimms Rural District was abolished and replaced by the Potters Bar Urban District, which still only had the one constituent parish of South Mimms. Potters Bar was the name of the town which had developed around the railway station and along the Great North Road, which was by this time significantly larger than South Mimms village. When Greater London was created in 1965, Potters Bar Urban District was one of the few parts of Middlesex not to be incorporated into London. It was instead transferred to Hertfordshire.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
South Mimms, sometimes spelt South Mymms, is a village and civil parish forming part of the Hertsmere district of Hertfordshire in the East of England.