- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Potters Bar was originally a hamlet in the parish of South Mimms, Middlesex. Following the opening of a station on the Great Northern Railway it grew into a small town. In 1934 the old parish of South Mimms became the Potters Bar Urban District. In 1965 when the administrative county of Middlesex was abolished and mostly absorbed into Greater London, Potters Bar was one of two parts of Middlesex that chose not to become part of Greater London and was transferred instead to Hertfordshire where it became part of the new Hertsmere non-metropolitan District.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Potters Bar is a town in the Hertsmere borough of Hertfordshire, England, north of Charing Cross, London. It is within the historic county of Middlesex. Its three county-level wards in 2011 had a combined population of 21,882.
The town originated in the early 13th century; it remained a small settlement economically with significant agriculture until the arrival of the Great Northern Railway in 1850. It is not with other developments but is in the London commuter belt.