|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ovingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1910|
|Prudhoe Castle, Northumberland, England||civil parish which became part of the urban district|
|Eltringham, Northumberland, England||civil parish which became part of the urban district|
|Mickley, Northumberland, England||civil parish which became part of the urban district|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Prudhoe is a medium-sized town just south of the River Tyne, in the southern part of the county of Northumberland, England, about 11 miles (18 km) west of Newcastle upon Tyne. The town is sited on a steep, north-facing hill in the Tyne valley and nearby settlements include Ovingham, Ovington, Wylam, Stocksfield, Crawcrook, Hedley on the Hill and Mickley. Prudhoe had a population of 11,675 at the UK census of 2011. Today it has largely become a commuter town for nearby Newcastle.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Prudhoe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PRUDHOE, two townships and a village in Ovingbam parish, Northumberland. The townships are Prudhoe and Prudhoe-Castle; lie on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, adjacent to Durhamshire, 10½ miles W of Newcastle; and have a station on the railway, and a post-office designated Prudhoe Station, Northumberland. The village stands about a mile S of the station, and has a post-office under Prudhoe Station. Acres of the townships: 1,440 and 719. Population in 1851: 386 and 102; in 1861: 471 and 490. Houses: 79 and 89. [Prudhoe] manor belonged anciently to the Umfravilles, belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland, and gives him the title of Baron. [Prudhoe] Castle was built by an early one of the Umfravilles; withstood a siege, in 1174, by William the Lion, King of Scotland; stands on a rock 60 feet above the level of the Tyne; occupies, with its garden, about 3 acres; is defended, on the N, by an outer wall, rising sheer from the cliff; is guarded also by square bastions, and protected on the S by a deep fosse; went extensively to ruin as early as the time of Elizabeth; and now shows chiefly a lofty ruined keep, and a modern residence of the Duke's steward. Coal mining is carried on; and the increase of it gave rise to the increase of population."
Prudhoe was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1910 it was made an urban district and absorbed the parishes of Prudhoe Castle, Eltringham and Mickley. When urban and rural districts were abolished in 1974, Prudhoe became a civil parish within the Tynedale District until municipal districts were abolished when Northumberland became a unitary authority in 2009.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Prudhoe, Northumberland, England | Ovingham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England