|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ovingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Wylam is a small village in the county of Northumberland about 10 miles (16 km) west of Newcastle upon Tyne.
It is famous for the being the birthplace of George Stephenson, one of the early rail pioneers. George Stephenson's birthplace is a cottage that can be found on the north bank of the Tyne, three quarters of a mile (1.2 km) east of the village centre. It is owned by the National Trust and is open to the public.
Wylam has further connections with the early rail pioneers. The steam locomotive engineer Timothy Hackworth, who worked with Stephenson, was also born here. William Hedley who was born in the nearby village of Newburn attended the village school. He later went on to design and manufacture Puffing Billy in 1813, two years before George Stephenson produced his first locomotive Blücher. Christopher Blackett as lord of the manor in the first 30 years of the 19th century provided the entrepreneurial drive that encouraged these engineers.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wylam from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WYLAM, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland and; on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 8¼ miles W of Newcastle. It lies mainly on the N side of the river, [and] partly on the S side; and has a wooden bridge over the river, a post-office designated Wylam, Northumberland, a [railway] station, a shot factory, a blast furnace for pig iron, extensive collieries, stone quarries, two Methodist chapels, and a national school. Acres: 930. Population: 1,040. Houses: 194. [Wylam] Hall was anciently a peel. George Stephenson, the famous engineer, was a native."
Wylam was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 the civil parish became part of the Tynedale District which was abolished in 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.