Place:Eltringham, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.958°N 1.884°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1910)
See alsoOvingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1910
Prudhoe, Northumberland, Englandurban district into which it was absorbed in 1910
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eltringham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ELTRINGHAM, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Tyne, 5 miles E of Corbridge. Acres: 320. Population: 159. Houses: 28."

Eltringham was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1910 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1910 Eltringham became part of Prudhoe Urban District.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.