- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Petersham is a place in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames on the east of the bend in the River Thames south of Richmond, which it shares with neighbouring Ham. It provides the foreground of the scenic view from Richmond Hill across Petersham Meadows, with Ham House further along the river. Other nearby places include: Twickenham, Isleworth, Teddington, Mortlake and Roehampton.
Petersham was originally considered to be a chapelry and became a civil parish. It was part of Richmond Municipal Borough from 1892 until 1965.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Petersham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PETERSHAM, a village and a parish in Richmond district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Thames, under Richmond hill, 1 mile S of Richmond [railway] station; takes its name from having belonged to St. Peter's abbey at Chertsey; gives the title of Viscount to the family of Stanhope, Earls of Harrington; and has a post-office under London S W. The parish comprises 660 acres. Real property: £6,100. Population: 637. Houses: 108. The property is divided. Ham House is the seat of the Earl of Dysart; Pembroke Lodge, the seat of Earl Russell. Petersham House, Petersham Lodge, Sudbrook Park, Montrose House, Bute House, Douglas House, Manor House, Gort House, and Reston Lodge are other residences; likewise the Star and Garter, the famous Richmond hotel. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Kew, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was built in 1505; has been mainly modernized; and contains the grave of the Duchess of Landerdale, some ancient monuments, and a tablet to the memory of the navigator Vancouver. There are a parochial and infant school, and charities about £50."
Help fund new features!