Isleworth is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. From 1894 Isleworth parish was part of the Heston and Isleworth Urban District, which was elevated to Municipal Borough status in 1932. In 1965 Heston and Isleworth Municipal Borough was abolished, becaming part of the London Borough of Hounslow.
Isleworth was a parish in Middlesex and is now part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It was an early Saxon parish, heavily farmed at the Norman Conquest. It begins east of the town of Hounslow and west of the River Thames. It is north of the Thames' tributary, the River Crane; and south of the crest by the M4 motorway which separates the Brent and Crane catchments.
A long-standing nucleus of settlement much alongside the Thames is known as Old Isleworth. The northwest corner of the town, rising into Osterley, is of lower density, within its traditional boundaries and its post town; in between this area and Old Isleworth are Spring Grove and Woodlands which are residential neighbourhoods.
Isleworth's boundary with the Thames has become reduced to a conservation area including the medieval church and pub on its short promenade facing the large tree-lined islet of Isleworth Ait and Kew Gardens. This line of buildings and the network of short streets and squares leading to it were the home of Georgian scientist Joseph Banks and painters in the world's major galleries such such as Vincent Van Gogh and JMW Turner. This adjoins Syon Park, the direct successor to Isleworth's manor and the impetus for the Duke of Northumberland's River.
Woodlands is a small area located in the borough of Hounslow, London between Hounslow and Isleworth/Spring Grove. It is an area roughly bounded by the railway line to the north, St Johns Road to the East, Twickenham Road to the south and Bridge Road / Worton Road to the west. It includes roads such as Woodlands Road, Woodland Gardens, Woodlands Grove as well as The Woodlands Tavern public house on St Johns Road.
The estate comprises mostly semi-detached houses built in the 1930s, although there are older buildings too. Before these houses were built the area was used as orchards, hence the name 'Woodlands'.