Place:Peckforton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NamePeckforton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.10295°N 2.6894°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoEddisbury (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was once situated
Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1937
Crewe Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1937-1974
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict in which it was located 1974-2009
Cheshire East, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Bunbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which the township was located until 1866
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Peckforton has been since 2009 a scattered settlement and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The settlement is located 6.5 miles (10.5 km) to the north east of Malpas and 7.5 miles (12.1 km) miles to the west of Nantwich. The total population of the civil parish is somewhat over 100. Nearby villages include Bulkeley to the south, Beeston to the north, Higher Burwardsley to the west, Spurstow to the east and Bunbury to the north east.

The Peckforton Hills form the western part of the civil parish. At the northern end of the ridge stands Peckforton Castle, a Victorian mansion built in imitation of a medieval castle for John Tollemache, 1st Baron Tollemache, and many of the local buildings were constructed in the mid-Victorian period for Lord Tollemache as part of the Peckforton Estate.

Prior to 1866 Peckforton was a township in the ancient parish of Bunbury. There is a sketchmap of the ancient parish on the Bunbury page. The population was 260 in 1801, 286 in 1851, 176 in 1901, and 140 in 1951. (Source:GENUKI)

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Peckforton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.