|Type||Township, Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated once situated|
|Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1892|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1892-1937|
|West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1937-1974|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Chester City (borough), Cheshire, England||district in which it was located 1974-2009|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
|Bunbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish in which the township was located until 1866|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Beeston is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester, which itself is located in the ceremonial county of Cheshire in the north of England. It is located approximately 10 km south-east of Chester, and approximately 3.5 km south-west of Tarporley, close to the Shropshire Union Canal. It includes or included the hamlets of Beeston Brook (part), Beestongate, Castleside, Cuerdon and Ettley Hill. According to the 2011 census, Beeston had a population of 188.
Prior to 1866 Beeston was a township in the ancient parish of Bunbury. There is a sketchmap of the ancient parish on the Bunbury page. The population was 377 in 1801, 397 in 1851, 285 in 1901, and 284 in 1951. (Source:GENUKI)
According to the 1881 Census data, the population of Beeston was 328. Of these, 56 were engaged in agriculture, suggesting a strong farming community in the area. 30 persons were employed in domestic service in the parish at the time as well, possibly indicating the presence of a country estate. There was also a schoolmaster, an innkeeper and a shopkeeper, illustrating that there was a school, an inn and a village shop present in 1881.
The population has decreased since the 1881 census, but the overall number of households in the parish has increased.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Chester City (borough), Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Bunbury, Cheshire, England | Beeston, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!