Place:Burwardsley, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameBurwardsley
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.1°N 2.733°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated once situated
Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1892
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1892-1937
West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1937-1974
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Chester City (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict in which it was located 1974-2009
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Bunbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which the township was located until 1866
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Burwardsley is a village and civil parish the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The parish also includes the small villages of Burwardsley, Burwardsley Hill, Higher Burwardsley, Fowlers Bench or Fowlers Beech, Pennsylvania and Willow Hill. The parish also includes Burwardsley Hall and is part of two Cheshire long distance footpaths, the Sandstone Trail and the Eddisbury Way. The parish church of St John the Devine is in Burwardsley.

Prior to 1866 Burwardsley was a township in the ancient parish of Bunbury. There is a sketchmap of the ancient parish on the Bunbury page. The population of Burwardsley was 204 in 1801, 479 in 1851, 329 in 1901, and 310 in 1951. (Source:GENUKI)

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Burwardsley, Cheshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.