|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Eddisbury (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was once situated|
|Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1937|
|Crewe Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1937-1974|
|Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Crewe and Nantwich (borough), Cheshire, England||district in which it was located 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bunbury is a village and civil parish which since 2009 has been located in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is south of Tarporley, north west of Nantwich, and on the Shropshire Union Canal. According to the 2001 Census, the parish had a population of 1,308.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Bunbury was a township in Bunbury ancient parish which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Bowe's Gate, Gosland Green, Sadler's Wells and Woodworth Green. The population was 519 in 1801, 931 in 1851, 820 in 1901, and 915 in 1951. (Source:GENUKI)
Until 1866 Bunbury was an ancient parish in the Broxton Hundred which included the townships of Alpraham, Beeston, Burwardsley, Calveley, Haughton, Peckforton, Ridley, Spurstow, Tilstone-Fearnall, Tiverton and Wardle. The boundary between Tarvin Rural District and Nantwich Rural District splits the ancient parish in two. This is also true of the Registration Districts representing the townships and of the administrative districts covering the area today. It is therefore assumed that Beeston, Burwardsley, Tilstone-Fearnall and Tiverton were in the Broxton Hundred, while the eastern townships were in Eddisbury Hundred. No source for this assumption has been found.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bunbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BUNBURY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Nantwich, Cheshire. The township lies on the Chester canal and the Chester and Crewe railway, near the Calveley station, 3½ miles SSE of Tarporley; and it has a post office of the name of Higher Bunbury, under Tarporley, and fairs on 11 and 12 Feb., and 30 and 31 July. Acres: 1,140. Real property: £4,229. Population: 990. Houses: 209.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Tiverton, Tilstone-Fearnall, Beeston, Alpraham, Calveley, Wardle, Haughton, Spurstow, Ridley, Peckforton, and Burwardsley. Acres: 16,830. Real property: £28,879. Population: 4,727. Houses: 927. The manor belonged to Hugh Lupus; and passed to the Bunburys. A college for a master and six chaplains was founded here, in 1386, by Sir Hugh de Calveley; and was purchased from the Crown, in the time of Elizabeth, by Thomas Aldersey of London, who gave the income for charitable uses. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacies of Peckforton and Calveley, in the diocese of Chester. Value: £117. Patrons, the Haberdashers' Company. The church is later English; has a side chapel and a pinnacled tower; was injured by the royalists in 1643; underwent complete restoration in 1865; and contains monuments of Calveley, the Cheshire hero of the 14th century, and Beeston, the commander against the Spanish armada. The [perpetual] curacies of Tilstone and Burwardsley are separate benefices. There are seven dissenting chapels, two national schools, and charities £46.
- "The subdistrict contains three parishes and part of another. Population: 7,959."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Eddisbury (hundred), Cheshire, England | Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire, England | Crewe Registration District, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Crewe and Nantwich (borough), Cheshire, England | Cheshire East, Cheshire, England | Bunbury, Cheshire, England