Old Brentford was historically a chapelry of the parish of Ealing St Mary (now simply Ealing), becoming a civil parish in its own right in 1894. In 1894 Old Brentford and neighbouring New Brentford joined to form Brentford Urban District. In turn, this merged with the neighbouring Chiswick Urban District in 1927 to form the Brentford and Chiswick Urban District. This was made a Municipal Borough in 1932. Brentford and Chiswick Municipal Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Hounslow.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Old Brentford from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Old Brentford, 2 [ecclesiastical] dists. (St George and St Paul), Ealing par., Middlesex, forming part of the town of Brentford; population- St George [parish]: 3675; St Paul [parish]: 5997."
- See wiki.familysearch.org under "London" and also under "Middlesex" for key information about Greater London's jurisdictions and records, plus links to indexes, reference aids and Family History Library holdings.
- A very useful FREE site for anyone researching their London ancestors between the years 1690-1800 is London Lives. This is a fully searchable edition of 240,000 manuscripts from eight archives and fifteen datasets, giving access to 3.35 million names.
- London Ancestor, a website belonging to one of the London family history societies, has a list of transcriptions of directories from the 18th century, listing in one case "all the squares, streets, lanes, courts, yards, alleys, &C. in and about Five Miles of the Metropolis..." In other parts of the same website are maps of various parts of 19th century London and Middlesex.
- The proceedings of the Old Bailey, London's central criminal court, 1674-1913. A fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court. This site is FREE to use.
- Registration Districts in London, Registration Districts in Middlesex, Registration Districts in Surrey, Registration Districts in Kent, are lists of the registration districts used for civil registration (births, marriages and deaths, as well as the censuses). There are linked supporting lists of the parishes which made up each registration district, the dates of formation and abolition of the districts, the General Register Office numbers, and the local archive-holding place. This work has been carried out by Brett Langston under the agency of GENUKI (Genealogy United Kingdom and Ireland) and UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet.
- Map of West Middlesex from the Report of the Boundary Commissioners for England and Wales, 1885, printed by Eyre and Spottiswoode, London, and provided by London Ancestor.
Categories: Middlesex, England | Ealing, Middlesex, England | Old Brentford, Middlesex, England | Brentford, Middlesex, England | Brentford and Chiswick, Middlesex, England | Hounslow (London Borough), Greater London, England
Help fund new features!