Chiswick is a district of west London, England, and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It contains Hogarth's House, the former residence of the 18th century English artist William Hogarth; Chiswick House, a neo-Palladian villa regarded as one of the finest in England; and Fuller's Brewery, London's largest and oldest brewery. It occupies a meander of the River Thames which is heavily used for competitive and recreational rowing, and Chiswick itself is home to several clubs. The finishing post for the Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge.
The area was historically an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, with an agrarian and fishing economy. Having good communications with London from an early time Chiswick became a popular country retreat, and as part of the suburban growth of London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries the population significantly expanded. It became the Municipal Borough of Brentford and Chiswick in 1932 and has formed part of Greater London since 1965.
Chiswick has a number of named sublocalities: Grove Park, Strand-on-the-Green and those with named tube stations Turnham Green, Bedford Park and Gunnersbury all within its three full-sized wards of the United Kingdom, except that much of Bedford Park is since 1965 in the London Borough of Ealing.
On a border, the Great West Road Roundabout is the start of the North Circular Road (A406), South Circular Road (A205) with the eponymous road flying over this. Within Chiswick at the Hogarth Roundabout the M4 converts to a non-motorway highway, providing a second mode of transport connection to Heathrow Airport and the M4 corridor or all northern/due west counties of the United Kingdom. The Great West Road runs eastwards to end in central London. In Chiswick starts the Great Chertsey Road (A316) which runs south-west, a road that becomes the M3 motorway.
Chiswick, also known as Chiswick St Nicholas, was one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. It became an Urban District in 1894 and merged with the neighbouring Brentford Urban District in 1927 to form the Brentford and Chiswick Urban District. This was made a Municipal Borough in 1932. Brentford and Chiswick Municipal Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Hounslow.