NOTE: Linked references in the section below will direct to Wikipedia
Monkwearmouth is one of the ancient parishes of County Durham, England. It lies on the north bank of the mouth of the River Wear, opposite the town of Sunderland. In 1835 Sunderland was made a municipal borough, covering the parish of Sunderland and large parts of the parishes of Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth. In 1866 the parts of Monkwearmouth outside Sunderland Borough --Fulwell, Hylton and Southwick--were given their own parish councils. At the same time, the parts of Monkwearmouth within Sunderland Borough were split into two parishes: Monkwearmouth and Monkwearmouth Shore.
When County Councils were created in 1889, Sunderland was made a County Borough, and was thus independent of Durham County Council, although it was still deemed to geographically lie within County Durham. The parishes within Sunderland Borough (including Monkwearmouth and Monkwearmouth Shore) were abolished in 1897, since which time Monkwearmouth has had no administrative status, being simply a suburb of Sunderland. Fulwell and Southwick were absorbed into Sunderland in 1928, followed by Hylton in 1967. Therefore since 1967 the whole of the ancient parish of Monkwearmouth has been part of Sunderland.
Sunderland became part of the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear in 1974 under the name City of Sunderland. Following the abolition of Tyne and Wear County Council in 1986, Sunderland became a self-governing unitary authority - effectively reinstating the situation which had existed between 1889 and 1974. Sunderland was made a city in 1992. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)