|Alt names||Southwick on Wear||source: alternate name|
|Type||Township, Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Monkwearmouth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Easington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Sunderland, Durham, England||county borough into which it was absorbed in 1928|
|City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England||metropolitan district in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Southwick is a former village and now a suburb on the north banks of the River Wear in the City of Sunderland in the county of Tyne and Wear. According to the UK census of 2011 it had a population of 10,535. Before 1974 it was located in County Durham.
Southwick borders with Castletown and Hylton to the west, Monkwearmouth to the east, greenbelt farmland to the north, and the Wear to the south although the Queen Alexandra Bridge links Southwick to central Sunderland.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Southwick was originally a township in the ancient parish of Monkwearmouth, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1894 it was made an urban district and took on the name Southwick on Wear. In 1928 Southwick Urban District was abolished and the parish was absorbed into Sunderland County Borough.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Southwick on Wear from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SOUTHWICK, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, 1½ mile NW of Sunderland [railway] station; consists of two parts, High and Low; carries on ship-building, glass-making, brick-making, and pottery-work; and has a post-office under Sunderland. The township comprises 1,018 acres. Real property: £10,626; of which £343 are in quarries. Population in 1851: 2,721; in 1861: 4,263. Houses: 626. Population in 1868, between 6 and 7,000. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Population: 4,683. Houses: 704. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: about £500. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of [Durham]. The church is modern; and there are Wesleyan, United Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, an Alexandra institute, and a national school."
Categories: Durham, England | Southwick, Durham, England | Monkwearmouth, Durham, England | Easington Ward, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Sunderland, Durham, England | City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England