|Alt names||North Hylton||source: alternate name|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Monkwearmouth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Easington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Sunderland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1967|
|Chester le Street Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The earlier township of Hylton appears to have been renamed North Hylton. There is also South Hylton on the other side of the River Wear, a much larger place, and Hilton, northwest of Darlington.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
North Hylton is a suburb of Sunderland, in northeast England. It is the site of Hylton Castle and is located on the north bank of River Wear opposite South Hylton.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Hylton or North Hylton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Monkwearmouth, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Sunderland Rural District. In 1937 and in 1951 part of its area was transferred to the parishes of Washington and Sunderland respectively. The 1967 transfer to Sunderland effectively abolished North Hylton as a civil parish. It is now a part of the City of Sunderland metropolitan area in the county of Tyne and Wear.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hylton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HYLTON, or NORTH HYLTON, a village and a township in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, opposite Ford village and Hylton [railway] station, 3 miles W of Sunderland; has a post office, of the name of North Hylton, under Sunderland; and shares with Ford a trade in ship building and in iron and chemical works. The township comprises 2,670 acres. Real property: £3,569. Population: 487. Houses: 78. Hylton Castle here is the seat of J. Bowes, Esq.; was originally a keep of the 13th century; retains, in the W front, a gatehouse of the time of Richard II.; underwent extension, in the Italian style, in 1746; and is associated with a grim ancient goblin legend. It belonged, for many ages, to the family of Hylton; and passed, in 1762, to the Bowes family. A ruined chapel is behind it, originally of the 12th century, desolated at the Reformation, restored in last century, desecrated afterwards to the meanest uses, and retaining on its walls stone shields of the Hyltons, and of families to which they were allied."
Categories: Durham, England | Hylton, Durham, England | Monkwearmouth, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Easington Ward, Durham, England | Sunderland Rural, Durham, England | Tyne and Wear, England | City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England