- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Merton was an ancient parish in the Brixton hundred of Surrey, England. It was bounded by Wimbledon to the north, Mitcham to the east, Morden to the south and Kingston upon Thames to the west. The 1871 Ordnance Survey map records its area as (2.7 sq mi). The parish was centred around the 12th-century parish church, St. Mary's in Merton Park. The parish, by the 20th century gained two legal meanings, religious and civic. It had in the late 19th century seen breakaway ecclesiastical parishes and the civic aspect in 1907 was transformed into Merton Urban District. Merton contributed its name to the London Borough of Merton. Merton itself is no longer a clearly defined area within the borough; and the parish was abolished on 1 April 1965 when Greater London was created. It is among less prominent sources of the English surname Merton but is the origin of Merton College, Oxford who had its precursor site and an endowment of landholdings here.
- Merton is also the name of a modern borough of London. See the Wikipedia article.