|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England|
|See also||Copthorne Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Cheam, Surrey, England||parish into which an area was transferred at some early date|
|Epsom Rural, Surrey, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1933|
|Banstead, Surrey, England||urban district to which part was transferred in 1933|
|Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, England||urban district to which part was transferred in 1933|
|Epsom and Ewell District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is quoted directly from an article in Wikipedia
Cuddington was a large chapelry in [[Place:Surrey, England|Surrey with a small population in the Tudor period the clustered centre of which was demolished and it never had a parish of its own. Cuddington was formally merged into Cheam and into Ewell to which it was a hamlet after having made way for Henry VIII's Nonsuch Palace in the east of the parish of Ewell.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cuddington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CUDDINGTON, a parish in Epsom [registration] district, Surrey; near Cheam [railway] station, and 1 mile NNE of Ewell. Post town: Ewell, under Epsom. Acres: 1,827. Real property: returned with Ewell. Population: 148. Houses: 30. Nonsuch Palace, noticed in our article Cheam, was here. The parish has no church; and ranks ecclesiastically as part of Ewell."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Cuddington, Surrey.
In 1933 it was split between the urban districts of Banstead and Epsom and Ewell. Since 1974 the larger part is in the District of Epsom and Ewell District or Borough.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online
Categories: Surrey, England | Cuddington, Surrey, England | Copthorne Hundred, Surrey, England | Cheam, Surrey, England | Epsom Rural, Surrey, England | Banstead, Surrey, England | Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, England | Epsom and Ewell District, Surrey, England