Merton Urban District (1907–1913) and Merton and Morden Urban District (1913–1965) were urban districts in Surrey, England. The first was formed in 1907 from the parish of Merton (which had been in the Croydon Rural District) and was expanded in 1913 to take in the neighbouring Morden. The district was abolished in 1965 and its former area now forms part of the London Borough of Merton in Greater London.
The district was created in 1907 to cover the ancient parish of Merton. Since 1894 the parish had been part of Croydon Rural District and was locally governed by a parish council--both were created by the Local Government Act 1894. The area of the rural district was within the expanding area of London's southern suburbs and as the population increased it became necessary to reform the local government structures.
Merton was the first parish to be removed from the rural district in 1907. An urban district was formed covering the same area as the parish. In 1913 the parish of Morden was also removed from the rural district and became part of the urban district, which was renamed to Merton and Morden. The separate parishes continued with nominal existence. The boundaries of the district were subject to a minor revision in 1933.
The urban district was abolished in 1965 by the London Government Act 1963 and its area merged with those of the Municipal Borough of Wimbledon and the Municipal Borough of Mitcham to form the London Borough of Merton of Greater London.
Merton is an ancient parish which was first in Surrey but since 1965 has been in Greater London and named Merton Priory. It is bounded by Wimbledon to the north, Mitcham to the east, Morden, Cheam and Cuddington (Worcester Park and rest of Motspur Park) to the south and (New) Malden to the west. The 1871 Ordnance Survey map records its area as 1,764.7 acres (7.1 km2) (2.7 sq mi). The parish was and is centred on the 12th-century parish church, St. Mary's in Merton Park.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Merton (parish).
Morden has been since 1965 a district in the London Borough of Merton. It is located approximately 8 miles (13 km) south-southwest of central London between Merton Park and Wimbledon (to the north), Mitcham (to the east), Sutton (to the south) and Worcester Park (to the west).
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Morden.