Latimer is a village and civil parish that sits on the border between Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire, in England. In 2013 the civil parish was renamed Latimer & Ley Hill. The parish now forms part of the Buckinghamshire district of Chiltern. Latimer & Ley Hill parish includes the villages of Latimer, Ley Hill and Tyler's Hill.
Latimer was originally joined with the adjacent village of Chenies. Both were anciently called "Isenhampstead", at a time when there was a royal palace in the vicinity. However in the reign of King Edward III of England the lands were split between two manorial barons: Thomas Cheyne in the village that later became called "Chenies", and William Latimer in Latimer in 1326.
The small village includes 17th and 18th century cottages around a triangular village green with a pump on it. The church of St Mary Magdelane was rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1867. The rectory was built in the 18th century in grey and red brick.
Throughout the 19th century (and possibly before) Latimer was a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Chesham. It became a separate civil parish in 1899. In 1907 its boundaries with the Hertfordshire parishes of Bovingdon and Flaunden were altered, but in 1934 it lost 792 acres to Chesham. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
Ley Hill is part of Latimer & Ley Hill parish and includes a common, two public houses and a Methodist Chapel. Tyler's Hill is also in Latimer & Ley Hill parish and includes St George's Anglican Church. The graveyard at Tyler's Hill which serves Ley Hill and Tyler's Hill is run by Latimer parish council.
The nearest railway station to Latimer is Chalfont and Latimer situated in the nearby town of Little Chalfont which is on the Chiltern Line between Aylesbury and Marylebone Station in London with London Underground services between Baker Street and Amersham.
Latimer House, a mansion on the hill on the edge of the village, was once a home of members of the Cavendish family who became the barons Chesham. The 3rd Baron Chesham was a commander in the Boer War. The original Elizabethan house, where Charles I was imprisoned in 1647 and Charles II took refuge before fleeing abroad, was gutted by fire in the early 1830s. The present red brick Tudor style mansion, which was designed by Edward Blore, was completed in 1838. The house was the home of the British military's National Defence College after World War II.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References