|Alt names||Shreding Green||source: from redirect|
|Sawyers Green||source: from redirect|
|Horsemoor Green||source: from redirect|
|George Green||source: from redirect|
|Langley||source: BHA, Authority file (2003-)|
|Langley-Marish||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Village, Former parish|
|Located in||Buckinghamshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Berkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Eton Rural, Buckinghamshire, England||district in which Langley Marish was located 1874-circa 1900|
|Slough, Buckinghamshire, England||absorbed part of Langley Marish in 1930|
|Fulmer, Buckinghamshire, England||absorbed part of Langley Marish in 1934|
|Wexham, Buckinghamshire, England||absorbed part of Langley Marish in 1934|
|Slough Borough, Berkshire, England||district municipality covering the Slough part of Langley since 1974|
|South Bucks District, Buckinghamshire, England||district municipality covering the Fulmer and Wexham part of Langley since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|Langley Marish was a civil parish to the east of Slough within the Eton Rural District of Buckinghamshire, England. Slough grew rapidly in the latter half of the 19th century and, around 1900, the decision was made to absorb the built-up part of Langley Marish (usually named Langley) into the borough. The remainder was of the parish was split between Fulmer and Wexham in 1934.
The urban part of Langley was transferred with the rest of Slough to Berkshire in 1974. This area is located 2 miles (3 km) east of central Slough and 4 miles (6km) from the Heathrow Airport Junction of the M4 motorway. In 2011 the area had a population of 17,583, according to the UK census of that year.
The village of Colnbrook is dealt with separately.
|The place-name Langley derives from two Middle English words: lang meaning "long" and leah, a "wood" or "clearing". Langley was formed of a number of clearings: George Green, Horsemoor Green, Middle Green, Sawyers Green and Shreding Green. They became the sites for housing which merged into one village centred on the parish church in St Mary's Road. The clearings are remembered in the names of streets or smaller green fields. The community of George Green is still evident on maps and road signs.
"Marish" or "Maries" commemorates Christiana de Marecis who held the manor for a short time in the reign of King Edward I.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Langley, Berkshire.
- An outline map of the current civil parishes of Buckinghamshire (post 1974 and omitting Milton Keynes unitary authority) is provided by the Boundaries Commission.
- Another map which gives no source, appears to have been drawn to show the county in the late 19th century and labels the parishes directly. However, the map does not show towns and villages (unless they are parishes using the same name) and some parishes have been found to be missing from this map.
- A map provided by the Open University (a British university based in Milton Keynes) gives the locations of the old civil parishes and the new communities that make up Milton Keynes. It can be expanded to read the labels.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
- Church of England and Nonconformist churches including registers of baptism, marriage and burial.
- Around 35,000 wills proved by the Archdeaconry of Buckingham.
- County and District Councils (lists of councillors, minutes of meetings, etc).
- Quarter and Petty Session courts.
- Landed estates of families including the Aubrey-Fletchers, Hampdens, Carringtons and Fremantles.
- Historic maps including OS, tithe and inclosure maps
- A wide range of local history books, some for loan.
- Pamphlets and articles of local history interest.
- Local newspapers
- Computers for access to family history resources like Ancestry and FreeBMD.
- Published material is listed in the Library Catalogue.
- Catalogues to some of our manuscript material is available through Access to Archives, part of The National Archives (TNA). Their database contains catalogues describing archives held locally in England and Wales and dating from the eighth century to the present day.
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References
- GENUKI for Buckinghamshire provides a lot of material on the county history from a variety of aspects. The maps of the hundreds are reproduced from 19th century publications and show the topology as well as the locations of the various parishes. There is also a schematic map covering the whole county. GENUKI does not contain much information about the 20th century and beyond.
- Local History Online provides a list of local historical organizations. Each of these societies and organizations has its own website.
[[Category:South Bucks District, Buckinghamshire, England
- The FamilySearch Wiki on Buckinghamshire explains the jurisdictions relating to civil affairs, parishes and probate (wills and testaments) for each parish in the county and also outlines when these jurisdictions were in existence. The data does not cover the post-1974 period.
Categories: Buckinghamshire, England | Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire, England | Eton Rural, Buckinghamshire, England | Fulmer, Buckinghamshire, England | Wexham, Buckinghamshire, England | Slough, Buckinghamshire, England | Slough Borough, Berkshire, England | Berkshire, England