In the late 17th century the owners of the manor of Fulmer were forced to sell their house to their servants because they had squandered their money and could not afford to pay them. The manor then passed into the hands of the Duke of Portland.
In the mid-19th century, watercress was grown at Moor Farm, known locally as "The Bog", (now Low Farm) by Richard Whiting Bradbery, the son of William Bradbery, the first British watercress pioneer who had a large cress farm at West Hyde, Hertfordshire. Richard is buried in St James churchyard, Fulmer, with his wife Hannah.
Many films have been shot in this area, including Sleepy Hollow.
In July 2011 Fulmer Village was awarded first prize in the Gurney Cup for Buckinghamshire's best kept village (population under 500). It was also awarded the Sword of Swords for achieving the highest score of all villages that entered no matter of size or population. Some locals have commented that the recent renovation of the village's K6 telephone box by two local residents played a large part in the scoring due to the full marks awarded for this category.
Fulmer Parish Council maintains a website with both historical and current information regarding the village, including recent news and upcoming activities in and around the area.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References