|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1920)|
|See also||Woodhorn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1912|
|East Hartford, Northumberland, England||civil parish to which part of Horton was transferred in 1912|
|Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, England||civil parish to which part of Horton was transferred in 1912|
|Blyth, Northumberland, England||urban district to which part of Horton was transferred in 1912|
|Blyth, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1920|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The place-name Horton is a common one in England. Wikipedia lists another thirteen in other counties. There is also Horton Grange, a township in the ancient parish of Dinnington, which became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Dinnington.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Horton is a village in Northumberland, England about 2 miles (3 km) west of Blyth, and south of the River Blyth.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Horton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HORTON, a township and a parish in Tynemouth [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Blyth, 2 miles WNW of Newsham [railway] station, and 3 WSW of Blyth. Acres: 2,365; of which 190 are water. Population: 368. Houses: 82.
- "The parish contains also the townships of East Hartford, West Hartford, Bebside, and Cowpen; the last of which has a head post office, designated Cowpen, Northumberland. Acres: 5,550. Real property: £43,563; of which £30,000 are in mines and £100 in quarries. Population in 1851: 4,449; in 1861: 6,787. Houses: 1,349. The increase of population was caused by the extension of collieries. The property is not much divided. An old castle of the Delavals stood here: and the ruins of it were destroyed in 1809. Coal is very extensively worked. The parish originally formed part of Woodhorn, and afterwards became a parochial chapelry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £150. Patron: the Vicar of Woodhorn. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and has a tower. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. There is also a national school."
Horton was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Woodhorn in the Castle Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was broken up and transferred to the parishes of East Hartford and Seaton Delaval and Blyth Urban District/Municipal Borough. In 1920 Horton was abolished completely and the area absorbed into the civil parish of Blyth along with the parts that had been transferred to East Horton and Seaton Delaval.
As a chapelry it was responsible for the townships of Bebside and Cowpen until each of them became civil parishes in 1866.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Horton, Northumberland, England | Woodhorn, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England | East Hartford, Northumberland, England | Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, England | Blyth, Northumberland, England