|Type||Township, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Ponteland, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England||metropolitan borough of which it became part in 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dinnington is a village and civil parish located since 1974 within the City of Newcastle upon Tyne in Tyne and Wear, England. It is about 9 miles (14 km) north of the city centre, near Newcastle International Airport. According to the 2011 Census, Dinnington Parish has 737 households and a population of 1,636.
The village has been inhabited since well before the Iron Age (700 BC). Mining has taken place from at least 1715, with the first deep mine being the Augusta Pit at Dinnington Colliery which was sunk in 1867. 1919 saw the formation of Dinnington Parish Council. In 1974 boundary changes led to the village, previously within Northumberland, being incorporated into the City of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Formerly a coal-mining village with at least four pits within two miles (3 km), Dinnington expanded during the last 40 years of the twentieth century to become a commuter or dormitory village with suburban residential estates.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dinnington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DINNINGTON, a township and a parish in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The township lies near the source of the river Pont, 5 miles W of Dudley [railway] station, and 6½ NNW of Newcastle-on-Tyne; and has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres: 812. Population: 284. Houses: 59.
- "The parish includes also the townships of Horton-Grange, Brenkley, Mason, Woolsington, and Prestwick; and was formerly part of Ponteland parish. Acres: 5,538. Rated property: £6,000. Population: 774. Houses: 157. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £160. Patron: M. Bell, Esq. The church is good."
Dinnington was a township in the ancient parish of Ponteland until 1818 when it became an ancient parish of itself. It also became a civil parish during the 19th century. From 1894 unti 1974 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was significantly altered when it absorbed all or part of the parishes of Brenkley, Horton Grange and Mason and gave up some acreage to the newly formed Brunswick and Hazlerigg as well as to the much older Ponteland.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Dinnington, Northumberland, England | Ponteland, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England