|Type||Township, Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Horton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blyth, Northumberland, England||urban district into which it merged in 1907|
|Blyth, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1920|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Cowpen is a place in Northumberland, in England. It is a part of Blyth and just east of the A189 road.
In the 12th century CE, its name was Cupum, possibly the dative plural of Old Norse kupa, "a cuplike depression or valley".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cowpen from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COWPEN, a township in Horton parish, Northumberland; at the mouth of the river Blyth, 1 mile W by N of Blyth. It has a post office, of the name of Cowpen, Northumberland. Acres: 1,707. Population: 6,291. Houses: 1,238. Coal is largely worked. There is a Roman Catholic chapel."
Cowpen was a township in the ancient parish of Horton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1894 it became an urban district. In 1907 the urban district merged with that of Blyth under the name Blyth Urban District. Then in 1920 Cowpen was abolished completely and the area absorbed into the civil parish of Blyth.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.