Place:Hardingstone, Northamptonshire, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district
Coordinates52.206°N 0.889°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoHardingstone Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1896-1932
Northampton Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hardingstone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARDINGSTONE, a parish, a [registration] sub-district, and a [registration] district in Northamptonshire. The parish lies on the river Nen, the Grand Junction Canal, and the North-western railway, averagely 2 miles S by E of Northampton, but containing the Northampton station of the Northwestern railway. It includes the hamlets of Cotton-End, Far-Cotton, and Delapre Abbey; and it has a post-office under Northampton. Acres: 3,060. Real property: £9,784; of which £600 are in quarries. Population in 1851: 1,196; in 1861: 1,915. Houses, 396. The increase of population arose from the erection of houses at Far-Cotton. The property is divided among a few. Lieut. Gen. E. W. Bonverie, of Delapre Abbey, is the chief landowner. A Queen Eleanor's cross, of three stones, octagonal, and on 8 steps, is near Delapre Abbey, and was built by Edward I., and restored in 1762. A circular camp, enclosing upwards of 4 acres, and supposed to have been formed by Sweyn, the father of King Canute, is on a commanding eminence to the SW of Eleanor's cross. A battle, commonly called the battle of Northampton, between Warwick the king-maker and Henry VI., was fought, in 1459, at Hardingstone-Fields. Paper mills are at Far-Cotton; and wharfs and warehouses are on the canal at Cotton-End. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £534. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and was well restored in 1869. New schools were recently erected; and there are charities £103. James Hervey, the author of Meditations, was a native."

Hardingstone was, for the brief time of 1894 to 1896, an urban district. In 1896 the urban district status ended and it became part of Hardingston Rural District. While the urban district was in existence the following neighbouring parishes were also considered within its bounds: Dallington, Dallington St. James, Duston, Duston St. James and Far Cotton.

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.