A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Far Cotton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Far Cotton is due south of the town centre of Northampton, beyond Cotton End - hence the 'Far' - and just south of the River Nene. It is roughly rectangular in shape with the river and Northampton branch of the Grand Union Canal forming its northern boundary. The railway line, part of the Northampton Loop Line just south of Northampton railway station is on the western edge.
Far Cotton was part of Hardingstone Urban District from 1894 until 1896 and a separated urban district from 1896 until 1900. It then became a part of Northampton County Borough until it was annexed into Northampton Civil Parish itself in 1931. Since 1974 it has been part of the non-metropolitan Northampton District or Borough.
These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.