Place:Duston, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameDuston
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.233°N 0.947°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoHardingstone, Northamptonshire, Englandurban district in which it was located 1894-1896
Northampton Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which the outer section of Duston was located 1896-1965
Duston St. James, Northamptonshire, Englandcivil parish formed from the more urban section of Duston in 1895
Northampton District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Duston is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Northampton, Northamptonshire, England. It has been a settlement since at least Roman times.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Duston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DUSTON, a parish in the district and county of Northampton; on the river Nen, adjacent to the Grand Union canal, near the Northampton and Peterborough and the London and Northwestern railways, 2 miles W of Northampton. Post-town: Northampton. Acres: 1,760. Real property: £6,527. Population in 1851: 714; in 1861: 1,162. Houses: 250. The property is divided among a few. The increase of population between 1851 and 1861 was occasioned by the erection of two iron foundries at St. James End. Some extent of quarrying is carried on. Some remains exist of an Augustinian monastery, founded in the 12th century by William Peverell, and styled St. James' abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborouh. Value: £159. Patron: Viscount Palmerston. The church is good; and has a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £22.

Following the building of the iron foundries and the subsequent increase in population described by Wilson in his Gazetteer, Duston was separated into two parishes: Duston, the more rural section, and Duston St. James, the centre of the industry and the area closer to Northampton itself. The parish of Dallington, to the southwest, was similarly divided into Dallington and Dallington St. James. the two "St. James" sections were merged into one Urban District for the period 1896-1900. (Hence the alternate title of St. James End.)

In 1932 the outer parts of Duston and Dallington merged under the name Duston and in 1965 the single parish was absorbed into Northampton.

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Duston. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.