Hanwell, or Hanwell St Mary, is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1894 it became an Urban District. Hanwell Urban District was abolished in 1926, being incorporated into Ealing Municipal Borough, which in turn was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Ealing.
Hanwell is a town situated in the London Borough of Ealing in west London, between Ealing and Southall. The motto of the Hanwell Urban District Council was Nec Aspera Terrent (“Difficulties be Damned”)