The Glebe Cemetery (also known as "Glebe Burying Ground"), located near Swoope, Augusta County, Virginia, on State Highway 875, was started on land originally intended for the residence (glebe) of the first minister, Rev. John Hindman, reluctantly appointed by the vestry in 1746 after he showed up with letters of recommendation from the Governor, recommending him for employment as "rector of the parish". The residence was never built, likely because the vestry agreed to accept Rev. Hindman, provided that he would not insist upon the purchase of glebe lands for two years, and Rev. Hindman died before February 15, 1748, likely before the two-year period had expired and shortly after his arrival in Augusta County. A glebe farm was purchased and built at the foot of North Mountain, about five miles south of Swoope's Depot, along with the accompanying burying ground (Annals of Augusta County, Virginia by Joseph A. Waddell, pg. 60). Several early settlers and victims of early Indian attacks are buried there. The Glebe Burying Ground was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 (#85002722)
INSCRIPTION ON TOMBSTONES AT THE GLEBE GRAVEYARD ON THE FARM OF THOMAS THOMPSON IN AUGUSTA COUNTY, VA., IN 1902.
From Waddell's discussion of the death of Alexander Crawford we learn that he and his family were buried in the Glebe Cemetery, (before 1764) during the Indian Wars. Their names do not appear on the above cemetery transcription. Nonetheless, we can infer from this that the Glebe cemetery was established well prior to the Revolution, and was probably not too far distant from where this family lived and was killed. Waddell describes the location of the home place as
He acquired an extensive tract of land in Augusta, covering a part of the Little North mountain, and extending far out into the plain. It embraced sixteen hundred and forty acres. His dwelling stood on a knoll, at the eastern base of the mountain, and looked out towards the rising sun on a wide tract of level land. It was " beautiful for situation." The spot is about two miles northeast of Buffalo Gap, and a hundred yards south of the present residence of Baxter Crawford, a great-grand-son of Alexander and Mary. The site of the house is now marked by a thicket, surrounding a pile of unhewn stones which composed the chimney.