Chertsey is a town of almost 16,000 people in the Runnymede District of Surrey on the right bank of the River Thames where it is met by a corollary, the Abbey River and a tributary, the River Bourne or Chertsey Bourne. Between 1933 and 1974 it was bounded on the northeast by the Thames, on the southeast by the parishes of Weybridge, Walton on Thames and Byfleet, on the southwest by Horsell and Chobham, and on the northwest by Egham and Thorpe. (Since 1974 there have been changes to the parish boundaries with some mergers and renaming.) The semi-rural villages that were formerly within Chertsey (Lyne, Longcross and Ottershaw) are to the southwest. Chertsey is centred 29 kilometres (18 mi) southwest of central London and has a branch line railway station. Less than 1 mile (1.6 km) north of its developed centre is the M3 motorway which runs between outer London and Southampton.
Chertsey was one of the oldest market towns in England. Its Church of England parish church dates to the 12th century and the farmhouse of the 'Hardwick' in the elevated southwest of the parish is of 16th century construction. The town grew to all sides but the north around Chertsey Abbey, founded in 666 A.D by Eorcenwald, Bishop of London on a donation by Frithwald. Appropriately, until the end of use of the hundreds (employed from the time of the feudal system until the establishment of Rural Districts and Urban District Councils), the name chosen for the wider Chertsey area hundred was Godley Hundred.
Chertsey Abbey grew to become one of the largest Benedictine abbeys in England, supported by large fiefs in the northwest corner of Sussex and Surrey until it was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536. The King took stone from the Abbey to construct his palace at Oatlands Palace; the villagers also used stone for raising the streets. By the late 17th century, only some outer walls of the Abbey remained. During this period until at least 1911 a wider area was included in Chertsey: Addlestone was an ecclesiastical district, but now outstrips Chertsey in size and in importance, being the principal town of Runndymede District; Ottershaw, another sizeable village in the west; Botleys and Lyne; and a number of other villages such as Brox, Foxhills, New Haw and Woodham, all of which are redirected here. The map of Surrey circa 1900 (when blown up) provides an good image of the parish of Chertsey and the various settlements within it. This map is from from the website, A Vision of Britain through Time.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chertsey.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes: