|Alt names||Brooklands||source: settlement in parish|
|Oatlands Village||source: settlement in parish|
|Oatlands||source: settlement in parish|
|St George's Hill (Weybridge)||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England|
|See also||Elmbridge Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Elmbridge District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Weybridge is a town by the River Wey in the Elmbridge District of Surrey, England. It is bounded to the north by the River Thames at the mouth of the Wey, from which it gets its name. It is just outside the borders of Greater London.
Brooklands, St George's Hill and Oatlands or Oatlands Village are places within the civil parish of Weybridge.
Until the late 18th century Weybridge was as a very small village with a river crossing. Seed milling to make flour and plant nurseries existed and would continue to provide the major source of home-grown income until the 20th century. However, tanneries, major coaching houses, shops, markets, forges or gunpowder works were documented in the medieval period.
Weybridge grew into a commuter town with the advent of the fast train link into London Waterloo.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Weybridge.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online