Addlestone is the administrative town of the Borough of Runnymede in the county of Surrey, England. The town lies just within the M25 motorway which surrounds London. It is centred 18.6 miles (29.9 km) southwest of London. Junction 11 of the M25 motorway serves the roads local to Addlestone and Chertsey, which was also the name of the ancient (or ecclesiastical) parish and civil parish in which it was located until 1974.
Addlestone, historically called Atlesdon or Atlesford, was a part of Chertsey ecclesiastical parish, the basic unit of civil administration until the mid-19th century.
Only thirteen years after 1537 (the year of the Dissolution of the Monasteries), the Crown was content to lease the land rather than continue with a local steward so Sir William Fitz William (later his widow) held the whole Chertsey Beomond manor from 1550-1574; later Sir Francis Bacon held it for the infant Charles I who later granted it specifically for his Queen, Henrietta Maria (of France). During the Commonwealth of England, the government sold the manor to William Aspinall who sold 292 trees of Birch Wood there for the Navy; however it was taken back by the Crown at the Restoration of the Monarchy and the first of many leases was granted; the first lease was to the first Lord Holles. For example, from 1779–1803 the Duke of Bridgwater held it, and from an unknown date until his death in 1827 the British Commander-in-Chief Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (second son of King George III), was tenant of the lands.
A Baptist chapel was built in Addlestone in 1872, and a Wesleyan chapel in 1898. Further districts of what is now Addlestone, and were formerly Chertsey, are New Haw and Woodham. These settlements have been redirected to Chertsey.
Chertsey poor law union's workhouse was in Addlestone and was built in 1836–8. Addlestone chapel was added in 1868. The Village Hall was built in 1887 by the Addlestone Village Hall Company. The Princess Mary Village Homes at Addlestone were established by the organisation and patronage of the Duchess of Teck ([[wikipedia:Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge|wikipedia:Princess Mary of Cambridge, great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II) in 1871; these were certified industrial schools for female children of prisoners, or children otherwise in a destitute or dangerous position. They were conducted on the separate homes system, and are supported by voluntary contributions, with a Treasury allowance for children committed under the Industrial Schools Act. Chertsey Urban District took over all roles of the parish and of the Godley Hundred under the Local Government Act 1894.
On Station Road, a large Blériot aircraft factory was built in 1917. The several hundred aeroplanes produced there were taken by road to Brooklands for final assembly and test flying. In the 1950s the site was taken over by Weymann to build buses and coaches who built the prototype of the Routemaster bus (for many years the standard London doubledecker bus) before ceasing trade in the mid-1960s. After that, part of the site was used by Caddy's who built taxis. In early 1967, Plessey moved from Chessington and took over this factory. In 1990, the site was used by Marconi. All these companies were important local employers. By 2000 the site was derelict and has since been cleared and redeveloped as a business park called Aviator Park, the name referring to its original use.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes: