- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: East Carleton, Carleton Forehoe and Carleton St. Peter also exist in Norfolk.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Carleton Rode is a village (population 727) in Norfolk, England, situated approximately five miles south-east of Attleborough. The village is extremely rural and is spread out over 10.91 square kilometres (4.21 sq mi) in the South Norfolk District.
One of the earliest mentions of this place is in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is mentioned amongst the lands given to Roger Bigod by the King. The manor given to Roger included 30 acres (120,000 m2) of land and two churches. The parish has some of the oldest buildings in the whole part of England making it a treasure.
From 1808 to 1814 Carleton Rode hosted a station in the shutter telegraph chain which connected the Admiralty in London to its naval ships in the port of Great Yarmouth.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Carleton Rode. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901