Place:Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk, England

NameCarleton Forehoe
Alt namesCarleton-Forehoesource: Family History Library Catalog
Carletunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
Karletunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.601°N 1.085°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoForehoe Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Kimberley, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Carleton Forehoe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CARLETON-FOREHOE, a parish in Forehoe [registarion] district, Norfolk; on the river Yare, 2 miles NE of Kimberley [railway] station, and 3½ N by W of Wymondham. Post Town: Wymondham. Acres: 772. Real property: £1,732. Population: 124. Houses: 25. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £150. Patron: Lord Wodehouse. The church is later English, with a square tower; and was repaired in 1839. Charities, £26."

The small parish of Carleton Forehoe was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Kimberley in 1935. The civil parish is now known as Kimberley and Carleton Forehoe. It covers an area of 9.33 km2 (3.60 sq mi) and had a total population of 121 in 52 households as of the 2001 census. It is located in the South Norfolk District. (Source:Wikipedia)

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Carleton Forehoe. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: