Billericay is a town and civil parish located in the Basildon Borough of Essex, England since 1974. It lies within the London Basin, has a population of 36,338 (2011 UK census), and constitutes a commuter town east of central London.
Between 1 July 1837 and 1 July 1939 Billericay was a Registration District. From 1974 until the present, the town has fallen under the Basildon Registration District. The Registry Office is located in Basildon, in the council offices.
Billericay parish was not formed until 1937; before then the area had been part of the ancient Great Burstead parish. In 1894 Billericay Rural District has been created, covering a wide area stretching as far as Brentwood and Pitsea. In 1934 the core of this district around Basildon and Billericay became Billericay Urban District, and in 1937 a Billericay civil parish was created covering the same area. The urban district, but not the parish, was renamed Basildon in 1955. In addition to the original towns of Basildon and Billericay, the urban district included:
In 1974 the district was abolished and became the present-day Basildon District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Billericay.