Pitsea is a small town in the east of the Basildon District of southern Essex, England. It comprises five sub-districts: Eversley, Northlands Park Neighbourhood (Previously known as Felmores), Chalvedon, Pitsea Mount and Burnt Mills. Pitsea has a population of approximately 25,000 (date of estimate not given by Wikipedia).
During the creation of the new town of Basildon in the late 1940s and early 1950s, "Pitsea" and "Vange" were considered as names for the new town. Because Basildon village was central to the district, the town was named "Basildon". Before the new town regeneration, Pitsea and Vange (to the southwest of Basildon, were run down and in need of investment. Basildon, on the other hand, was a small village with a church (which still stands today as Holy Cross church) and a few cottages.
Pitsea (#18 on the map) was part of Billericay Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when the rural district was abolished. The parish was then transferred to Billericay Urban District which was renamed Basildon Urban District in 1955. In 1974 Basildon Urban District was abolished and, in the nationwide municipal reorganization of the that year, the area became the Basildon District. Basildon District was given the right to be called a "borough" in 2010.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Pitsea.