Brentwood (#3 on the map) is a town and the principal settlement of the Borough of Brentwood, in the county of Essex in the eastern part of England. It is located in the London commuter belt, 20 miles (30 km) east north-east of Charing Cross (the basis for distance measurement from the centre of London), and near the M25 motorway. According to the 2011 UK Census, the town had a population of 49,463.
Brentwood originated as an ancient parish of 460 acres (1.86 km²). In 1891 the population was 4,949. Under the Local Government Act 1894, the Brentwood parish formed part of the Billericay Rural District of Essex. In 1899 the parish was removed from the rural district and formed the Brentwood Urban District. In 1934 the parish and district were enlarged by gaining Hutton, Ingrave and South Weald. The urban district was abolished in 1974 by the Local Government Act 1972, and Brentwood Urban District was joined with the parishes of Ingatestone and Fryerning, Mountnessing, Doddinghurst, Blackmore, Navestock, Kelvedon Hatch, and Stondon Massey to form the Brentwood District with a total area of 36,378 acres. In 1993, Brentwood gained borough status.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Brentwood. There is a long History section.