Stondon Massey is a village in the Brentwood District of south Essex. It is situated to the north of Brentwood, between Blackmore and Doddinghurst. The village forms part of the 'Tipps Cross' ward of Brentwood Council.
The main part of the village is now just over a mile to the south of the church probably due to the plague of 1350.
Stondon Massey is still mainly rural, but there has been a good deal of suburban building during the past 30 years.
There have been three successive manor houses, the oldest of which is Stondon Hall, near the church. The north wing of the Hall is probably of the 15th century, and there is some 16th and 17th century panelling inside.
Stondon Place, originally a farmhouse, was rebuilt about 1707, and again after a fire, about 1880. From 1593 to 1623, it was the home of William Byrd (c.1539/40 or 1543 – 4 July 1623, by the Julian calendar, 14 July 1623, by the Gregorian calendar), the musician.
The church of St Peter and St Paul retains the nave and chancel and some of the original round-headed arches of 1100. There is a brass of 1570 to John Carre, Ironmonger and Merchant Adventurer of London, with figures of himself and his two wives, and another, of 1573, to Rainold Hollingsworth. William Byrd was also buried at the church.
Nathaniel Ward, Rector of Stondon from 1623 to 1633, was deprived of his living for non-conformity. He subsequently emigrated to New England and helped draft the 1641 Code of Laws for Massachusetts.