Place:North Benfleet, Essex, England

Watchers
NameNorth Benfleet
Alt namesBenfletsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.5806°N 0.5322°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBillericay Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1934
Billericay, Essex, Englandurban district to which it was transferred in 1934
Basildon (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

North Benfleet (#17 on the map) was part of Billericay Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when the rural district was abolished. The parish was then transferred to Billericay Urban District which was renamed Basildon Urban District in 1955. In 1974 Basildon Urban District was abolished and, in the nationwide municipal reorganization of the that year, the area became Basildon District. Basildon District was given the right to be called a "borough" in 2010.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Benfleet from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BENFLEET (North), a parish in Billericay [registration] district, Essex;, 2½ miles NE of Pitsea [railway] station, and 3 W by S of Rayleigh. It has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres: 2,418. Real property: £3,225. Population: 285. Houses: 56. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £700. Patron: Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good."

Research Tips